Choosing the Right Massage
by Katherine Triestman
You know about the many benefits of massage - such as reduced stress, increased mobility, pain relief - and now you are ready to make massage therapy part of your overall wellness routine. But, with such a variety of massage styles available to choose from, where do you start? Which type of massage is best for you? A quality therapist will listen to your goals for each session and suggest a technique best suited to meet your needs. Here is a breakdown of the most popular massage styles.
- Swedish Massage features long, slow strokes on the top-layer muscles. The Swedish style uses oils or lotions, resulting in smooth, gliding strokes to calm down the nervous system and relieve muscle tension. The pressure can be anywhere from very light to a bit deeper based on your personal preference. Rough day at work? Too much stress in your life? If the hectic pace of life is taking its toll and you just need to unwind and relax, then this might be the massage for you.
- Hot Stone Massage uses similar strokes of a Swedish massage with the addition of - you guessed it - hot stones. Several smooth stones are heated and are strategically used as a tool to reduce your muscle tension and maximize your relaxation. If you are a fan of a little extra heat, the hot stones are calling your name.
- Sports Massage uses a mix of various techniques to help athletes and weekend warriors recover faster, improve range of motion and avoid injuries. Techniques will vary based on your personal goals and training regimen. Are you an athlete? Do you enjoy being physically active? Do you need your body prepared ready for peak performance? Whether you are recouping from a big game or training for your next event, a great sports massage could give you the competitive advantage you are looking for.
- Pregnancy Massage is perfect for moms to be. Massage during any trimester is safe as long as there are no restrictions from your doctor. Mom’s comfort being the main priority; a massage during any stage of pregnancy will keep her relaxed and help alleviate those pain and aches. Is your back killing you? Are your feet sore? Our pregnancy support pillows are designed for ultimate comfort and we have them for you.
- Deep Tissue Massage targets deeper layers of muscle to address trouble areas by using a variety of techniques including Myofascial Release, Neuromuscular/Trigger Point Therapy or Orthopedic Massage. If you woke up with a cranky neck, pulled a muscle or have chronic pain; give deep tissue a try. Tell your therapist if any technique feels uncomfortable or painful; with massage less pain is more gain.
Research shows that massage can reduce symptoms of depression, anxiety, relieve pain, improve mobility and increase overall wellbeing. Whichever technique you need our licensed massage therapists are here to help. Schedule your session today!